Nov 20, 2017

Compass Box Oak Cross (revisited)...

Compass Box Oak Cross (43.0%): Oak Cross is a whisky that would make you feel happy or rather "safe" knowing that you have a bottle waiting for you at home when you are driving back from work or sitting on a shelf in your neighborhood watering hole ready for you when you walk in. It is consistent, reliable and damn good... I actually posted about Oak Cross here on tire-bouchon more than three years ago and who knows how many more bottles I killed after that post. So, I feel like it's time to revisit... But first some info about the liquid in the bottle to refresh the memories: It is a blended malt using single malts sourced from distilleries Clynelish, Teaninich and Dailuaine all aged separately in American oak barrels. After marrying them together 60% of the vat got transferred to new first fill ex-bourbon barrels and the remaining 40% to ex-bourbon barrels equipped with heavily toasted new French oak heads for a second maturation. The whisky got bottled after un-chill filtered at 43% abv. without caramel coloring addition.

Color: Chardonnay, yellow gold with fast disappearing legs.

Nose: Dry hay, very faint peat and yellow gummi bears. Dust and lemon twist. Fresh parsley, fresh coriander and Bartlett pear slices. Steamed asparagus stalks, dried malt and pencil eraser. It's fresh, vegetal and chalky. Underripe bananas and beeswax. 

Palate: Cold chamomile tea, banana cream pie and woolen scarves. Toasted wood, coriander and Irish Spring soap bar. White pepper and lemon drops.

Finish: Warming, quite long and peppery. 

Overall: Well, what can I say..? Definition of a good everyday whisky... You don't need a special occasion or a particular time of the day to sip this whisky. It is the perfect companion to a pint of ale when you are sitting at a bar counter and chatting with your friends and good to drink any time of the day even when the sun is up high and shining. It would pair great with your deserts after dinner, work in your flask just fine and fill that empty bottom drawer of your office desk with something worth to store... A must have for every whisky cabinet.

Price: $55